The team at Inverness Leisure is committed to playing its role in protecting our environment. For this reason, the company’s Green Team looks at the various ways the centre can actually deliver on its environmental responsibilities. We are very proud to have achieved VisitScotland’s Gold standard in their Green Tourism Business Scheme.
Why are we going green?
- To protect our planet
- To give ourselves and our children a better future
- To protect our wildlife and the surroundings they live in
- To provide a cleaner and healthier environment for all
Our Green Aims
To improve, develop and sustain our green credentials by doing all we possibly can to make our facilities more energy efficient by using less resources during our day-to-day operations, for the health and future benefits for its community.
- Identify the value that being green would have to the community, environment and our facility
- Improve existing and new green ideas that are valued by customers and staff
- Sustain these ideas through long term management plans
- Provide information about green spaces, wildlife and healthy lifestyles, making it more accessible to a wider group of users
- Maintain and develop connectivity with our partners
- Promote and publicise the value of green agenda, local walks, parks, wildlife, etc. via our quarterly newsletter
-Develop guidelines for the planning and development of existing and new objectives that are relevant to the facility
- Influence the policy, agenda and actions of staff as well as customers
Click on our Gold Green Business Tourism award on the right to find out more about the Green Business Tourism Scheme.
What are we doing?
The UK produces over 26 million tonnes of waste each year, much of which ends up in landfill sites. Other waste is burned, releasing more carbon into the atmosphere. We are determined to cut as much waste as we can by recycling and helping our customers to do the same.
- We are using low energy bulbs, push taps to save water and we use 100% recycled paper in our offices. We recycle plastic, cans, paper, batteries and cardboard as well as produce a proportion of our own electricity.
- Over the years we have saved 1,401 tonnes of CO2 which is the equivalent of a large forest of 215,515 mature trees; in the last year alone (2011) we have saved 589 tonnes of CO2 which is the equivalent of saving a forest of 90,589 mature trees.
- We support wildlife as can be seen by the ducks, fish and plants that inhabit our beautiful front entrance pond.
- We encourage the use of green products such as locally sourced, Fairtrade, food and drink as used in our Café as well as our vending machines.
- We promote public transport, cycling, and walking to encourage people to be more active as well as cut down on air pollution.
We care about the environment and we want to make sure our business is kind to nature as well as people, by putting different ideas in place and educating our customers on what they can do to help.
We promote and work together with partners from the local tourist industry who are also committed to the green agenda.
Be a responsible visitor – here are seven things you can do to help save the planet
- CONSERVE ENERGY: Switch off lights where you can (we do this in some of our toilets and meeting rooms).
- REDUCE, REFUSE, RECYCLE: You will find recycling points provided across the centre. Please help us by using them as much as possible.
- GIVE THE CAR A REST: Leave the car behind – walk, cycle or use public transport to and from our facility. Please ask at Reception for bus timetable leaflet or cycle hire information. You can also refer to our walking/cycling panel at the front entrance.
- BE WATER WISE: When using toilet facilities, please use water wisely and do remember not to leave taps running. Most of our taps are push taps and we use hand dryers instead of paper towels, where possible.
- RESPECT NATURE: Look after the landscape and wildlife by not littering and using footpaths and cycle ways responsibly.
Support Green Tourism Business – We are very proud of our Green Tourism Business Scheme Gold Award and are hoping for your support in maintaining this. See www.green-business.co.uk for more information.
Walking and cycling from Inverness Leisure
Inverness Leisure is a really great starting point for walking and cycling. Our Green Team has created this fantastic route guide for customers who may be looking to see other parts of Inverness either on foot or by bike. Green walks and bike rides from Inverness Leisure